Thursday, December 15, 2011

Incredible things about Paris




I just discovered some fascinating information about Paris. I think Paris is breath taking. Even just reading or looking at pictures of Paris I find myself holding my breath because I'm just so excited it exists. It's the kind of place where urban farming could be ridiculously glamorous, a man with a knack for sketching boats would live above and own the city's oldest piano shop and an American expat could own a bookstore that drew in the likes of both Hemmingway and Joyce. But it's not just that kind of place, it actually is that place. Hold on folks, this is real life and you're in Paris:





Jean Paucton raises honey bees on the roof of the Paris Opera house, Opera Garnier. He took courses on beekeeping at the Luxemborg Gardens and got the idea for using the Opera house from a coworker - the Opera's fireman - who bred trout in the canal under the building. WILD.



While playing around on Vimeo I stumbled on this super beautiful video by Tom Wrigglesworth & Mathieu Cuvelier documenting Marc Manceaux, the owner of the oldest piano shop in Paris. He approaches the pianos like a wonderfully caring doctor with his patient.


This last bit is sad and romantic. Geroge Whitman, owner of the bookstore Shakespeare and Company passed away this week at 98. Whitman was host to some of the English language's most famous authors and  his bookstore became a welcoming home away from home for many of them. Marlise Simons of the New York Times tells the story here.

Eiffel Tour: The Europeans
Opera house: Serge Ramelli
Bee Keeper: The Honey Gatherers and Lost

(P.S. If you come accross anymore information regarding the Opera's resident trout breeder let me know! I'm so curious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment